What does DOT stand for?
Department of Transportation
Who needs a DOT exam?
* The operator of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of over 10,001 pounds
* The operator of a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 people
* The operator of a vehicle transporting hazardous materials
How often do I need a DOT exam?
A DOT exam is good for a maximum of 2 years if the operator is healthy, is safe to operate a motor vehicle, and meets all requirements of the medical examiner. However, medical problems such as hypertension and diabetes will decrease this amount of time to a year or sometimes less, depending on the medical problem and physical examination findings.
What can I expect during my exam?
The medical examiner will get a detailed history of any medical problems and medications and then gathers the following information:
* Neck circumference
* Visual acuity
* Color vision
* Blood pressure
* Heart rate
* Urinalysis for glucose, protein, specific gravity, and blood
* Detailed head to toe exam