A sore throat is a condition marked by pain in the throat, typically caused by inflammation due to a cold or other virus. A sore throat may cause irritation, pain, and itchiness that makes it hard to swallow.
What causes a sore throat?
- Viral infections: cold & flu, mononucleosis, measles, croup
- Bacterial infection: strep throat, whooping cough
- Environment: mold, pet dander, cigarette smoke
Throat pain is a primary symptom of a sore throat; other symptoms include:
- Dry throat
- Swollen glands
- White patches on the tonsils
- Hoarseness of the voice
How can I treat a sore throat?
- Gargling warm salt water
- Drinking warm liquids: teas, soup, water
- Throat lozenges
Visit Our Urgent Care to determine treatment for your sore throat. Our Urgent Care is a convenient, cost effective alternative to hospitals to diagnose and treat any ailment.